Riordon vs Reneau

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ultimate Blue Corner Battles 16



Thursday, September 27th, 2012 we drove out to Kansas City, MO for my boxing debut against Molly Magness.  The weight cut was difficult! Sticking to my strict diet, and starting my weight cut a day early, I still found myself having to cut weight on the long drive out to Kansas City.  Once there, despite driving out with the heater on wearing thermal underwear, sweat pants, a long sleeved shirt, AND three sweatshirts (yes boys, I was the most desirable thing you've ever seen walking around in my Marshmellow Man looking outfit) I still had to spend a couple hours at the local health club sweating the last few pounds off in the sauna.  Ugh... but weigh ins found me right on spot with my weight after cutting a total of 21 pounds in less than two weeks.

After weigh ins I had discussed with the promoter my desire to call out the winner of the female 135 lb title bout the following night for the next show on November 30th.  I was in for a surprise the next day!

Arriving at the venue, we found out one of the opponents of the 135 female title bout had been picked up that afternoon for shop lifting (WHAT?!?!).  Turns out she was stealing a dress from JC Penny's to wear that night (insert eye roll, followed by a disapproving groan).  So one person's bad decision turned out to be an open opportunity for me.  The promoter asked my coach if we knew of any 135'ers that could take the fight on a last second notice, at which point my coach pointed at me and I smiled and accepted.  They moved my boxing match to an exhibition match in order to allow me to take two bouts in one night under the sanctioned rules.

So 12th fight of the night had me facing Molly Magness, Kansas City's "hometown rising star".  It was a good fight, but in the end Magness out pointed me and won to a split decision.  Well, good sportsmanship or not, that had me fired up! LOL I did NOT drive all that way to lose to a split decision to the home town favorite. I was bound and determined to make sure there was absolutely NO question about who won in the next fight.

I was given two fights and one intermission to rest before I was up again as the Co-Main event against Molly Welsh (yes, two Molly's. I will CERTAINLY never forget that name). It was quite the experience to walk out a second time and hear the shock and support from the crowd that I was fighting again.  What a rush I get when I hear the crowd cheering for me!

The bell rang, we touched gloves and Welsh started out the fight with a left round house kick to the body.  I was angry already, and that hit just the button.  We clenched up fairly quick and she delivered several knees right between the legs before the ref had a chance to warn her.  That pushed any last button I needed pushing and I delivered a few solid knees back myself before we separated from the clench and I landed a series of clean strikes to her face.  I was angry, tired from my first match, and in no mood to drag this one out for ring time, so I drove her across the cage where I ended the fight with continual hooks until the ref called it at 1:24 of the first round.

I cannot begin to explain what a wonderful experience fighting twice in one night was. Wow! I learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable of.  Hands down, that was the BEST experience I've had so far in my MMA journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment