Riordon vs Reneau

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Riordon vs Sigala... The Recap (finally)

Okay, surgery is done and I'm coming off the pain meds, time for the recap of my 5th amateur fight.  Wow, what a ride! Ugh...

As many of you know by now, on October 13th, 2012 I took my second loss in my amateur MMA career.  I was highly disappointed by the unfortunate turn of events of this fight.  From my best estimate, less than halfway through the first round I broke my right hand, the metacarpal of the index finger to be exact, off of a right hook.  There wasn't a doubt in my mind from the second of impact that it was broken.  However, shock must have started to set in immediately as my decision making skills became obviously skewed and I wasn't able to put anything together through the rest of the round, despite gaining side control and back control.

To spare my coach any accusations, I for whatever reason, decided not to tell him in between rounds that my hand was broken.  In fact, he told me that had I mentioned it he would have called the fight immediately.  What I can remember of my thought processes, not finishing the fight simply wasn't an option and I didn't want to waste my 60 seconds opportunity for coaching on discussing something that we couldn't do anything about until after the fight anyhow, so I just tried to focus on what he was telling me and how to try and finish the fight as soon as possible.

I really don't remember much of the fight, even after watching footage, other than the first 30 seconds and a few moments interspersed here and there. For the most part, I believe I fought the rest of that fight blacked out in shock.  I don't remember speaking to Michael in between the second and third round, and what was said during the first break is hazy.  The next thing I clearly remember is the bell ringing to signal the end of the third round and thinking 'oh good, we can fix my hand now'. Those were the first words out of my mouth when I went back to my corner.  I couldn't wait to get the glove off and put ice on it.  I remember being able to feel it swelling inside my hand wraps (that's a gross feeling, by the way).

Dr. Alex confirmed the break and sent us off to the hospital (not the best after party location). They scheduled surgery for a week later and I had a plate and SIX screws put in (didn't even think there was room on a single metacarpal for that). Today the splint came off and I was given orders to start rehab so that is going to be my upcoming focus. Along with training one heck of a jab and ninja kicks! :)

With every adversity comes great opportunity! I'm excited to see what opportunities come of this, as I've already seen a few doors start to creep open. I can't wait to start full training again in a couple months and get back in that cage, ring, or mat. I ADORE the competition so where ever the competition is at next, I'll be there.

Would I revisit this fight? Absolutely. The words "I walked right through her" were mentioned. Nah... three rounds on a broken hand that went to a decision isn't quite walking through anything. I would be excited to see the outcome with a healthy hand! She brought it, no doubt, and that's my kind of fight... but I hate to think there's confusion out there now. ;)www.maureenriordonmma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment