Riordon vs Reneau

Monday, March 18, 2013

Stop Drinking Your Calories!

Hi again! Ready for some more nutritional advice?  As always, my tips are strictly advice from my own personal experience and research, and are never by any means meant to replace the counsel of your healthcare provider.  Those guys have the title "doctor" in front of their name for a reason! :)

Ok, enough with the legalities.  This week's tip is a simple boost to your current weight loss efforts, but perhaps one of the hardest to follow for many people because of the habits they have created.  Ok.  Ready for it?  Stop drinking your calories.  Just stop!  You'd be surprised how quickly the calories add up over one year alone.

Now, I can almost HEAR the whines and grumbles of protest from you soda and Starbucks people, and I'll be honest, I ADORE Chai Tea from Starbucks, but stick with me for a moment while I try to get you to see the wisdom in my advice.  Maybe the numbers will convince you, or perhaps shock you enough to consider down sizing from a Venti to a Tall. ;)

Current research suggests about 3600 calories equals one pound.  Let's consider a can of Coke.  There's 140 calories in one can.  Now, let's say you're the person that justifies this drink by saying you only have one per day.  Ok.  There's 365 days in the year.  Multiply that by our 140 calories consumed daily from soda and you get 51,100 calories that year.  Divide that by 3600 calories in a pound, and you're left with over 14 pounds attributed to soda in that one year alone.  Now, lets consider the popular Vanilla Latte from Starbucks, sporting 390 calories in a Venti serving.  That's 142,350 calories in a year (if consumed daily), which is a scary 39.5 pounds! Yikes! How many hours on the treadmill would THAT take to neutralize?

Now, one of my calorie counting clients argued that even with her daily drinks, she figures those calories into her daily allotment, and I argue right back that she's easily surpassing her allotment of carbs and/or sugars despite the number of calories.  And as I've mentioned in previous segments, it's not always as simple as calories in versus calories out.  Why not fuel your body with nutrient packed calories instead of empty calories?

Consider that and check back in with me for next week's thought!  In the meantime, follow me on Twitter @babyfacemma or on Facebook at Maureen Baby Face Riordon for more tips and advice on both nutrition and fitness or feel free to email me your specific questions to babyfacemma@gmail.com.  Until next time, enjoy your week!

www.maureenriordonmma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment